Presented by Dr. José Carlos P. Santos on Thursday, October 8, 2015
Dr. José Carlos P. Santos
José Carlos P. Santos is Coordinator Professor at the Nursing School of Coimbra. He has a background in nursing and experience in General and Psychiatric Hospitals. He completed his nursing degree (1986), his mental health specialization (1997) and his master’s degree (2000) in Coimbra, and his doctoral degree (2006) in Oporto University.
He is a researcher of the Health Sciences Research Unit - Nursing (UICISA-E), hosted by the Nursing School of Coimbra. He is the coordinator of the project “Prevention of suicidal behaviours” with three main areas: adolescents- prevention of suicidal behaviours in schools; families- prevention of suicides with the families; professionals- guidelines and tools to prevent suicides.
He is the coordinator of the Master program in Psychiatry and Mental Health Nursing. He teaches in Doctoral programs, master’s degree programs and in an undergraduate nursing degree. The main issues are related to the area of Psychiatric / Mental Health Nursing.
- Coordinator- Prevention of suicidal behavior in adolescents in schools + Contigo, (PTDC/PSIEDD/118309), funded by Health Ministery.
- Co-investigador- Education and awareness for mental health (literacy): a school program for teens, (PTDC/CPE-CED/112546, funded by FCT.
- Member of Joanna Briggs Institute, Portugal Centre for Evidence based Practice: An Affiliate Centre.
- He has published books, papers, chapters, abstracts/conference proceedings in Portuguese and English. He is a board member to the following nursing journals: “International Journal of Mental Health”, “Referência”, “Revista de Investigação em Enfermagem” and “Revista Sinais Vitais”.
- Researcher at the Portuguese Observatory on Health Systems
- He is the past President of the Portuguese Society of Suicidology (2011-2013);
- Relator for the Portuguese Plan of Suicide Prevention (2013-2017);
- Member of the Portuguese National Council of Mental Health (2010 …);
- Member of the Board of Health NHS (Portuguese) Foundation Administration (2015 …)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Best Practices in Health Award 2015
- Member of the International Academy of Suicide Research (2014 …)
- Member of the Horatio Expert Panel (European Association for Psychiatric Nurses), (2010 …);
- He is also the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Honor Society of the Nursing School of Coimbra", chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (2010- 2014) .
- He also works in the Suicide Research and Prevention Unit at the Coimbra University Hospital.
- His interests are more related to suicidal behaviors and their impact on the family, society and professionals, liaison psychiatry and, more broadly, psychiatric/mental health nursing.